ABOUT RECTORY FARMS
Rectory Farm was purchased in 1920 by Eli Wombwell. Our farm was originally a mixed farm of 600 acres, with our own beef herd, sheep flock, pig herd, chickens and of course the heavy horses which did all the work. Back then the farm only grew 100 acres of cereals; everything else was grown to produce feed for the livestock. We grew grasses and clover for hay and grazing, mangles (fodder sugar beet), turnips, potatoes, wheat and barley that was rolled on-farm and fed to the cattle and horses.
With the outbreak of World War II, Albert Wombwell was farming alongside his son, Dick Wombwell – Dick being Peter Wombwell’s father and William and James’ grandfather. During the war Albert and Dick had to let most of the heavy horses go in order to put more of the land into production to help feed the troops overseas and to help Britain become self-sufficient in food production. By the end of WWII, 550 of the original 600 acres were under the plough. Through diligence and hard work over the generations, parcels of land have been acquired, building Rectory Farm up to 950 acres. Today, the family contract-farm a further 980 acres.